February 24, 2008

Mac Conversion, Step # 1: iPhone


I hear that once you go Mac you don't go back. After much prayer, research, and just wanting to be cool I am making the conversion from PC to Mac. Now I now that many of you will call me nuts and the rest of you will say welcome to the club. And in fact owning a Mac product does make you feel like you are in a club. Even if that product is just an iPod nano. . . There is just something about paying to much for technology that puts you into a club with a secret handshake. I bet all of you PC owners out there didn't even know that there is a secret Mac handshake. I would tell you what it is but I would have to take $2000 from your pocket and give you something cool in return. I know most of you wouldn't like that.

After deciding to make the switch, I knew that I was going to have to have a conversion process in place. The first step in the process was an iPhone. Here are some great pictures of my new friend.









You will notice that in the second picture that I am still using T-Mobile and not At&T. Yes I bought an unlocked iPhone off eBay. I am one of the 2 million users in the United States that is using the iPhone on a network besides AT&T. That is right, 2 million. Am I proud that I am using it on a network that it is not intended? No, but when your place of employment only uses one carrier, I didn't see the need to carry 2 phones around and waste a lot of money. This was my main struggle to begin with and why it has taken me so long to get this phone.

So what do I think of my new friend? Let me just put it this way. . .

Days of importance in my life:
1. The Day I accepted Jesus Christ
2. The Day I got married
3. The Day my kids were born
4. The Day I got my iPhone

By the way I got my friend on Thursday and have been playing with it ever since. This is the main reason I haven't blogged since Wednesday. It makes you want to use it. Unlike phones I have had in the past, it is great to use. The interface is wonderful and very easy. My 3 year old, Patriot, loves it because it is so easy to use. He has already dropped it on a hard floor and it made it. I am sure it will make that trip many more times before it is all said and done.

The pros:
1. The camera on it is great. I was very surprised by how good it really is.
2. The YouTube feature is incredible. My boys watching Sesame Street anytime is worth the price of admission.
3. It works well, very well as a phone.
4. The internet interface is the best I have seen on a phone. There are some of its features that I would love to have on my laptop.
5. The iPod interface just makes you feel cool and being able to rent movies is huge.
6. iTunes in your pocket. Is that iTunes in your pocket or are you just happy?
7. The keyboard is very easy to use. Have you seen the theme of easy.
8. It is unlocked so any sim card will work in it.

The cons:
1. No video camera. Not that my last phone had a good one but it would be nice to have one.
2. I can't figure out how to send a picture to my wife's phone so that she can use it as her wallpaper.
3. You can't use the YouTube player and send it to your TV like you can videos from the iPod portion of the phone.
4. It doesn't sync with Google contacts. That is where I had all of my info stored and I had to transfer it to Yahoo so that I get all of my contacts on my phone. That was a hassle.
5. I bought a unlocked iPhone and can't update it until they come out with another hack.

So there you have it. I have a new friend that they call iPhone and we are getting along really well. Now onto the second step of the Mac conversion. I will let you know later what that step is going to be. If you could go MacBook Air for work or iMac for the home which would you do?

comments

3 Responses to "Mac Conversion, Step # 1: iPhone"
  1. Anonymous said...
    February 24, 2008 at 8:02 PM

    I think we mac lovers prefer Family to club. And yes welcome to the family.

    (as for the features you have on the phone you want on your laptop. Most are available with Leopard.)

  2. jonathan said...
    February 25, 2008 at 9:35 AM

    You've passed over to the other side. It is now your official duty to make all PC users feel stupid for not having a MAC product. :)

    I'm also stuck with an employer that is in love with SPRINT, and have considered the unlocked iPhone route.

  3. JTapp said...
    February 26, 2008 at 3:30 PM

    Congrats on that.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates