January 4, 2008

Free Thought Friday: Half Marathon?


This year I have decided that I am going to run a half marathon. For those of you that don't know that is 13.1 miles. Why a half and not a full? Well you have to start somewhere and my thought is that I will do a half this year and see how it goes. I am training with my dad and he has run in half marathons before so I feel pretty confident that I can do it. I mean come on, I played soccer in college and was in great shape and never officially ran 13 miles in a row but I know it had to be close some days.

Here are the problems with the goal:

1. I don't really like to run just to run.
2. I play futsal and indoor soccer now but still feel the nagging of old ankle and knee injures. To many to explain but I feel like I am getting old. That's ashame.
3. It's been really cold in Cincinnati and I hate running on treadmills.

Here are the positives with the goal:
1. Quality time with my dad
2. A since of accomplishment
3. A few lbs. might just come off
4. Disciplining myself to run will help in other areas of my life
5. I get a race t-shirt

So there you go. The positives out way the negatives and I will keep you informed on how it is going. Right now I am only running 1 mile everyday. Next week I go to 1.5 miles a day or 2 miles a day. The race is in April so I am taking my time and trying to got he steady route and not my normal let's take the hill approach. Look at me growing and maturing and many of you said I couldn't. Well. . . HA!

comments

3 Responses to "Free Thought Friday: Half Marathon?"
  1. John said...
    January 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM

    You can do it!

  2. jonathan said...
    January 4, 2008 at 5:40 PM

    You never ran 13 straight miles playing soccer? What were you a goalie?

  3. Matt McKee said...
    January 4, 2008 at 8:28 PM

    No I wasn't a goalie. I was a mid-fielder and a center defense one at that. The most that we ran as a team at once was 10 miles. We then had practice but that is a lot of start and stop.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates