September 10, 2007

Using Twitter for Ministry Update


Twitter Logo

Sometimes I forget that timing is everything. For instance, there have been many products before their time and therefore didn't do well. Of course most of these products can be seen in the technology industry but that is besides the point. I love new things. I love to figure out how new things can improve what I am currently doing. This is why I love technology. Twitter can be a very useful tool. Below I will share with you the pros and cons that I came across while using Twitter as a ministry tool. By the way if you are not familiar with Twitter it is a text messaging/mini blogging tool that can be found at Twitter.com.

Pros

1. Information came in a different form- this is always a good thing. It makes people pay attention better.

2. It shows parents that you are trying new things and that you are staying up to date.

3. It uses a somewhat familiar technology.

4. It was easy to send information.

Cons

1. It was hard for my parents to sign up. Most parents were north of 35 years old and I had to sit down with them one on one to sign up.

2. Not all of the parents in the test group knew how to send a text message from their cell phone.

3. I couldn't have a personal and ministry account separate with one cell phone number. You can only have one account per number.

So there you have it. I stopped using Twitter without letting the test group know I was stopping. I wanted to see who missed it and who didn't care. I had 3 families come up to me this weekend and say they missed it out of 10 families who were doing it. I would assume that this is probably the average that you will have as well. I think though that if we could get even 30% of parents excited about teaching their kids about spiritual things then we are probably doing better than we are right now.

comments

0 Responses to "Using Twitter for Ministry Update"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates