April 13, 2009

Ministry Monday: Jesus has a Branding Problem


When you think of Jesus Christ what is the first symbol that comes to mind? If I had to guess I would say it's the cross. The second symbol could range anywhere from a lion, a fish/ichthus, flame, white robe, lamb, alpha/omega, and the list could go on and on. In fact here are some of the symbols that I have found across the great internet:







When I say resurrection what symbol comes to mind? For many of you it is a nice big blank that comes to mind. For others it could be a nice picture of a stone to the side of a cave but that is more of a picture than a symbol. For some it could be this, but very, very few I would suspect:



Yes the butterfly was a symbol of the resurrection for years because it goes into a cocoon and then comes back a new beautiful creation. It was adopted by the mass majority of Christ-followers though. I think that is because it isn't a great symbol.

When you brand something you like to find what makes it different than it's competitors. You want the brand to be easily identifiable. Great brands have a symbol/logo that evokes emotion, familiarity, and notoriety.

You see this is where I think Jesus has a branding problem. The cross is a great symbol of his death and I am glad that Jesus died for my sins. The problem is though that his death is not what made Jesus unique or different. Christ is different because of his resurrection. I get to go to heaven because he beat death. I get to have a relationship with God because of the resurrection. Jesus is ALIVE is the gospel. That's the good news. Why don't we have a great symbol for that? Why after 2000 years we don't have a logo of hope and of good news? Why don't we have a symbol that tells the world about a risen Lord, but instead have one that shows off his death?

Don't get me wrong, we should be grateful beyond belief about Jesus dieing on the cross, and I am grateful.

What should the symbol of resurrection look like? I can't say that the butterfly does it for me. What do you think? Do you have a symbol in mind?

I have a new mission. I want to find the symbol for the resurrection. A symbol of hope, future, grace, triumph, victory, reign, and of lordship. Let me know if you find it.

comments

2 Responses to "Ministry Monday: Jesus has a Branding Problem"
  1. jonathan said...
    April 13, 2009 at 4:32 PM

    On of the things that the resurrection is about to me is the emptiness of the tomb. Maybe NOT having an adequate symbol is representative of the emptiness of the tomb, and the fullness I now have...

  2. Dan Underwood said...
    April 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM

    I know that the Phoenix was a symbol of the resurrection for some early Christians... While I wouldn't call it my symbol, maybe it is one that should be used more? Good question.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates