February 9, 2009

Ministry Monday: Work With Publishing Companies Not Against


Over the last 2 weeks I have communicated with 3 different publishing companies. Standard Publishing and I had a 4 hour focus group on the future of Children's Ministry curriculum, resources, and products. Group Publishing (i.e. Keith Johnson) and I talk on a frequent basis about the state of ministry but more importantly how to train and equip volunteers. Lastly, The Rethink Group and I are talking about the Orange Conference.

Of course in the past I have worked with Lifeway Christian Resources to create, produce, and publish G-Force, a curriculum for Children's Ministry. This was my first real interaction with a publishing house and I didn't poke any of my eyes out.

Why do I tell you this? Because I think that to many ministers out there are afraid of or for some reason resent publishing companies. Publishing companies are not the big bad monsters that tell you what to do and believe. In fact, if you ever have the opportunity to sit down with them then do so quickly. They are giving you an ear and listening to your voice. Believe it or not, they want to hear what you have to say. They want to meet your need for creativity and let you meet the need of your people.

Now if you come across a company that just wants to sell you stuff and not listen to you then look somewhere else. If you are a company that doesn't want to listen then I hope you lose a lot of business. So publishing companies please listen, and ministers please start talking. In the end, we can only have better ways of reaching people for Christ.

comments

1 Response to "Ministry Monday: Work With Publishing Companies Not Against"
  1. Tristie Fischer said...
    February 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM

    I agree, Matt. I think too often we discount our feedback and assume the publishing company will not want to hear it. Reality is... they need to know what happens with the rubber meets the road. When their curriculum meets your ministry.

    Good advice.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates