January 26, 2009

Ministry Monday: So help me God


Do you know the 35 words that it takes to become the President of the United States of America? Here they are:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Notice it doesn't say, "So help me God!" It is not necessary for the President to take an oath (saying so help me God). Instead the President could take an affirmation (not saying so help me God).

I'm glad that our current President decided to have God on his side. Even if it was purely political, it makes his words in my view even more solid.

Do you think it matters? Are they just words? Do you think Obama meant them when he said those words?

comments

2 Responses to "Ministry Monday: So help me God"
  1. Ap said...
    January 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM

    I'm not convinced that those words "So help me God" make it so that God is with you... I'm pretty certain that God is in control whether the president thinks so or not.

    However, it's nice to have a president who values public statements of faith.

  2. Matt McKee said...
    January 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM

    OK maybe the wording of "God on his side was a little misleading". It should have been, "God in the conversation." Either way I do think that even saying the words So help me God speaks volumes.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates