December 8, 2008

Ministry Monday: The People Business




I spend more of my time now with business men then I do anybody else. Don't get me wrong, my title is still Pastor of Students and Children and I love working with both students and kids. I find it interesting though that my opportunities as of late are more in conference rooms instead of classrooms. I also find it interesting that I am really enjoying myself with the suits. Of course I don't wear the suit but I could see myself in a nice Hugo Boss one if the situation was right. I am interested in ties as well but I rarely wear them.

Anyway, I tell you this because I was asked recently what type of business I was in. Of course I was surrounded by a CEO, a consultant, a salesman, and a administrative assistant. My answer even surprised me when it came out of my mouth. I said, "I'm in the People Business." I kind of like the way that sounds. I like that I am all about people. Of course you could say that all pastors are in the people business but I don't know if that is really true. There are quite a few pastors that I know that are more about other things besides people because being about people is hard. Being about people can be humiliating, humbling, and hostile all at the same time. I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy the unpredictability. I am all about pushing people to get real with the God who created them. In fact, I even had the opportunity this past week to sit down with a millionaire business guy who I had only known for a couple of days and actually ask him the question, "So when are you going to find Jesus and give some of your money away?" I couldn't believe I said that either but I did. I didn't know I had that in me. I didn't even know that it was exactly what he needed to hear.

I like where God has me right now. I like that I am connecting with all kinds of people. I like being in the People Business. Now I just have to figure out how to leverage my new found business to its most profitable position. I guess I will take that one person at a time.

comments

0 Responses to "Ministry Monday: The People Business"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates