October 13, 2008

Ministry Monday: Paintball


There are many activities that I consider ministry opportunities that most people do not. For example I believe that Fantasy Football is an incredible outreach to guys in and outside your church and can be an effective tool for ministry. Another one of these strange activities that I believe can be great for both youth and men is paintball. In fact this coming Saturday, October 18th, we are having a paintball event on our new church property. Our property is 154 acres and use to be a golf course. It has a river as one of its borders and some nice rolling terrain. Needless to say but we have found some great places to play paintball on it.

Now I know that most of you when you think of ministry you don't think of this:



But in fact, it turns out that people, not just guys, love to grab a paintball gun, hide in the woods, and shoot each other. There is just something about the adrenaline that is incredible. There is something about coming together as a team and trying to defeat the other team. There are also many lessons that can be taught from paintball during breaks.

The worst things that happen are you walk away with a bruised ego and arm or leg. The best thing that comes away from it all is that people build community in a whole new way. If you get people to experience life together in a new way and help them build relationships then they will thank you over and over.

So watch out this Saturday. I will be in all camouflage waiting for you to cross my path so that I can light you up. You have been warned.

comments

1 Response to "Ministry Monday: Paintball"
  1. MattMc said...
    October 14, 2008 at 10:55 AM

    Matt,
    Jeremy Jackson sent me a link to your blog and I love what you wrote. I wish my church had a paintball ministry. My small group at Fellowship Church started a Texas Hold Em ministry where we invited guys we knew would never come to a bible study to come hang out with us and see how real Christians live.

    I also had the opportunity to visit a church in Portland that also had a paintball ministry. They one upped you guys though because they actually play inside the church building! I guess with the constant rain and bad weather they have in Portland indoor paintball is more popular. Here is my blog on that experience. http://tinyurl.com/43jdc2

    God Bless,
    Matthew McMaster
    Delivery Manager
    Fellowship Technologies

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates