July 29, 2008

Ministry Monday: Advance and Retreat


I think it is interesting the differences between the words Advance and Retreat. Here are the definitions of both:

Main Entry:
1ad·vance Listen to the pronunciation of 1advance
Pronunciation:
\əd-ˈvan(t)s\
Function:
verb
transitive verb1: to accelerate the growth or progress of <advance a cause>2: to bring or move forward <advance a pawn>3: to raise to a higher rank4archaic : to lift up : raise5: to bring forward in time; especially : to make earlier <advance the date of the meeting>6: to bring forward for notice, consideration, or acceptance : propose <advance an idea>7: to supply or furnish in expectation of repayment <advance a loan>8: to raise in rate : increase <advance the rent>

Main Entry:
1re·treat Listen to the pronunciation of 1retreat
Pronunciation:
\ri-ˈtrēt\
Function:
noun
1 a (1): an act or process of withdrawing especially from what is difficult, dangerous, or disagreeable (2): the process of receding from a position or state attained retreat of a glacier> b (1): the usually forced withdrawal of troops from an enemy or from an advanced position (2): a signal for retreating c (1): a signal given by bugle at the beginning of a military flag-lowering ceremony (2): a military flag-lowering ceremony2: a place of privacy or safety : refuge3: a period of group withdrawal for prayer, meditation, study, or instruction under a director

These definitions are brought to you by Webster.com.

If you follow me on Twitter you would have noticed that yesterday I was in a meeting with the management staff of Horizon Community Church. We were in a strategy session that was looking at long term goals for the church. We talked about some really exciting things. For one we are in a building campaign and of course talked about that process and the structure. We also talked about some other things that I can't wait to share with you but you will just have to wait.

On Tuesday I leave for Dallas to spend 5 days with my wife without the kids. This will be the first time for us to get away like this since our oldest, who is 3, was born. You see, Jessica is a Mary Kay consultant and their national convention is going on this week. We are going down there and I think I am going to have a blast. Again if you want to know how I am really doing you can always follow me on Twitter.

Why do I tell you about this things? Very simple. Both can be one or the other; a retreat or an advance. Go ahead and read the definitions one more time. The same goes for ministry opportunities all the time. The problem is I don't know if you know if what you are doing is a retreat or an advance until after the fact. Don't get me wrong, I know what I want both to be but I don't think you are ever sure until the process is complete.

So let me ask you, "In your ministry right now, are you on an advance or on a retreat?"

comments

0 Responses to "Ministry Monday: Advance and Retreat"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates