January 7, 2008

Ministry Monday: Back to Work


Did your church take Sunday December 30th off? I know most churches didn't, in fact I only know of one church that did, mine. Yes we didn't have church on December 30th. Why? Because it was a gift from our elders and executive board. Because it is OK not to have church every week. Yes I said that. Because it gives us pastors a nice break to see family for Christmas and New Year's. Because we can. Pick any one of those answers. They are all true.

Do you think it is right? Do you think a church should do this? If you had the chance to have church on December 30th or not, which would it be?

Now let's get honest for just a moment. If you did have church on the 30th, didn't you have your 3rd, 4th, or 5th string in. I mean I am willing to bet the Senior Pastor didn't preach and if you had vacation days you took it. Leaving behind the person who doesn't know how to delegate or has no one to delegate too. I mean I not saying but I am saying. . . Was your church half way done on December 30th because Christmas was so big and extravagant that it was an after thought anyway? I am willing to say that if you took a straw poll the answer would be yes. Is it worth doing a church service half way?

I know your answer. . . But Matt it gives these people the opportunity to lead or preach or serve and they wouldn't get to anyway. Or you would say, but Matt what about new families that came that week and to think that we would have missed them if we didn't have church. Or you would say, but Matt our committees wouldn't let us even if we wanted to because they have more power than God at our church.

Do you think those answers are good enough to put an half way service on just because. I am really glad we had December 30th off. I am also glad that we got back to work this past Sunday and started with all new series. Nothing brings in the new year like a great new series.

comments

3 Responses to "Ministry Monday: Back to Work"
  1. Anonymous said...
    January 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM

    We did, in fact, have church on the weekend of the 29th/30th (yes, we even had our Saturday night service).
    For the first time in a long time, we actually went out of our way to make sure it was a sharp post-christmas weekend with our full program staff and pastoral staff on campus.
    We spent a tremendous amount of energy pulling off 4 Christmas eve services with 2300 in attendance and we wanted to have a great follow up service.
    I love that you point out that church doesn't have to happen eery week. I totally agree! However, I think it would be a poor decision for us to take the weekend following a big outreach event off.
    Not that it was a poor choice for you... not all churches have the same needs.

    Just the two cents of a young, hopeful, children's ministry director.

  2. Anonymous said...
    January 7, 2008 at 5:38 PM

    oh my word, please help our churches to understand this concept. But my friend, one must allow the last opportunity Of the year for giving.

  3. jonathan said...
    January 7, 2008 at 5:44 PM

    Consider me officially jealous of your situation.

    I had combined classrooms, and major teacher shortages on the 30th. I work in a college town, so the Christmas holidays in general are a beating since all my college students are back home for the break!

    And ONE Sunday a year, isn't all that bad. In my little opinion...

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates