January 14, 2008

It wasn't Excellent. . .


Yesterday wasn't excellent. No I am not talking about the Colts and the Cowboys losing, even though that wasn't excellent. I am talking about the Children's Ministry at Horizon. Have you had those days? Those days that you look back on and say at least we got through it.

Now I am not a big proponent of telling the world all of your flaws but I will let you in on what happened yesterday.

It started off like any other Sunday. Get there early to set up a school to make it look and feel like a contemporary church. We get that done and one of my paid preschool workers tells us that she is sick and is going to have to leave. Now I only have 3 paid teachers and they are there on the just in case schedule. You know a volunteer doesn't show up or you have more kids than you expect type of schedule. So I didn't think anything of it. Except the first service started and the paid worker was suppose to cover for someone else and we had 12 kids in a nursery room when we normally have 6 during this service. The 2 high school girls who normally assist are the only ones there and they have 2 kids who are being uncontrollable. Normally my assistant would go in and save the day but she is having to cover another class because that teacher is not there. I find out about the situation when I hear that a family is leaving because the room is so out of control. That's right, a family left yesterday because of the ministry in which I oversee. I normally get stories of kids bringing their parents to church. Yesterday I got kids causing their parents to leave church. The only saving grace out of the deal was that I caught the parents before they left and invited them back to the next service and they actually came back. Then yours truly got to go hang out in the nursery for the rest of the first service.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, I had a child escape out of their preschool classroom at our second service. This was not the first time this child has escaped and he really like to run and hide. He is an every week kid and we had put some of our best teachers in place. We had given them information that he likes to get out and explore. I thought I had extra measurements of security and policies in place to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen and it did.

There were other areas that weren't excellent yesterday but why hang all my dirty laundry out on one blog post.

You see when you think that you are doing really well and your ministry is growing and reaching people, then you have days like yesterday. Days that aren't excellent. Days that seem like they will never end.

Thank you God that you show grace on days like yesterday. Thank you God that you still work when we make mistakes and policies fail. Thank you God for moving in the lives of families when it seems like we just get in the way. Thank you God. . .

comments

3 Responses to "It wasn't Excellent. . ."
  1. jonathan said...
    January 14, 2008 at 5:48 PM

    Most of my bad Sunday's with kids involve vomit; so consider it a good day that you stayed dry.

    Matthew 23:12

  2. JTapp said...
    January 14, 2008 at 6:15 PM

    God knew all of those people would get sick or not be there. You can't control that.

    I gotta say though, it sounds like the measures to control that one kid are a little much. At what point do you enlist his parents in helping out? (i can imagine a conversation that would include the words "or else.")

  3. Sam Luce said...
    January 15, 2008 at 3:54 PM

    Dude no way. I had a very rough sunday as well. 30 extra kids mostly K5 and 1st grade. One preschool teacher didn't show and a kid that made a break for it and was stopped by security (thank god), and two small group leaders who didn't prepare for their small group all while hosting a group from another church, oh forgot to mention the sound guy had to work.

    Thank God every week is not like that. Growth hurts though.

    I feel better.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates