January 11, 2008

Free Thought Friday: Trespassers Will Be Baptized


Did you go to high school with someone who was really ambitious, smart, and had everything together? I mean you know the type. The person who always got better grades than you did. Was the president of something while you were the vice president. They went to Harvard while you went to a small college in your home state to play a sport. Did you have someone like this?

I am proud to say that I did. Of course at the time I didn't take the opportunity to push myself as hard as she did. I didn't even take the opportunity to become closer friends and should have. I do know that she made me think and on occasion even made me laugh. By all means I know she laughed at me enough. God puts people in our path and I think it is up to us to take advantage of those opportunities. I was to immature to know that back then.

Who am I talking about? Her name is Elizabeth Emerson Hancock but I know her as Emy. She graduated from Harvard and was Miss Massachusetts in 1998. Not bad for a girl who grew up in Richmond, KY and graduated from Madison Central.

Why do I tell you about her? She is coming out with a book. The title is Trespassers Will Be Baptized. It will release in June but you can pre-order it now on amazon.com.

Here is book the description:

Book Description
Growing up Southern and Baptist in Eastern Kentucky, Elizabeth Hancock's world revolved around Sunday School, foreign missions projects, revival meetings and of course, the Kentucky Wildcats, who "glorified God through their goal-shattering, soul-shattering play." Hancock chronicles her childhood misadventures with sardonic wit, detailing her and her sister Meg's mischievous - if harmless - abuses of power (stealing Guess jeans from the Africa donation box, or hawking backyard swimming pool baptisms during her neighborhood's annual yard sale) and lovingly recalling the wisdom imparted by her long-suffering parents as they ministered to their unruly flock. TRESPASSERS WILL BE BAPTIZED marks the arrival of a talented new voice in a coming of age story that is by turns comical and affecting.

Congratulations Emy on writing your first book. I am proud to say that I know you now and knew you when.

comments

1 Response to "Free Thought Friday: Trespassers Will Be Baptized"
  1. Lizette Fitzpatrick said...
    January 11, 2008 at 4:49 PM

    Matt tell Emy "Congrats on the new book!"

    I'm a Madison Central grad too. Moved back to the hometown (like I said I never would)I'ts been fun though.

    Lizette
    activerain.com/blogs/ky

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates