December 12, 2007

Sign Wednesday: Google Maps for Mobile


I know for all of you tech geeks out there that this is not breaking news but for all of you who don't read Mashable!, Tech Crunch, and Technoriti, this is for you. My favorite new sign is on my cell phone. Yes, Google has had Maps for mobile for quite some time. I have actually used it for over 6 months myself, but a couple of weeks ago they made some major changes. They added some incredible features that make this technology incredible. I will get to all the updates but first. . .

Why do I call things like this a sign? I mean it is not a traditional sign that you would think of or even a new LCD billboard that can be found on major interstates. This is a sign because this is the future of signs. Not only will signs in the future give you helpful information but tell you where you are and help you get to and buy things that are around you. The signs of the future will be interactive and personal. They will be smart, fun, and easily adaptable. Yes, signs of the future will even be carried around in your pocket. When you start thinking of signs as this then you will start thinking of the signs that are to come. But that is enough about that. . .

Google Maps for Mobile the updated version makes me want more and more the availability of phones built on Android, the mobile OS by Google. I can't wait to see what phones come out next year. They will be awesome. So what is the big deal? 1 feature makes it all worth while. It has a function called My Location that tells you where you are without using GPS. It uses the cell towers around you and radio frequencies to let you know where you are within a certain radius. Is it perfect? No but it is darn good. If you were lost in Cincinnati you could search for where you wanted to go and find your way there from the location that it says that you are by very simple key strokes. It almost makes it to where you don't need GPS at all, and it is FREE. Having a GPS unit for Christmas quickly fell off my wish list. If my phone had GPS then it would work even better with the Google Maps for Mobile but the key is you don't have to have it. Other upgrades are better search results and one touch calling features within the search which is really nice. I could go on.

Do you want to see what the sign looks like? Go take the tour here.

Are you using this already? What do you think of it? Has it saved you yet?

comments

1 Response to "Sign Wednesday: Google Maps for Mobile"
  1. jonathan said...
    December 12, 2007 at 8:37 PM

    I'm a google nut as well, and the google maps is great. (Unless you live in Lubbock, TX and the 'My Location' feature doesn't work because there aren't any 3G or EVDO network areas!)

    Have you played with Windows Live Search? It has a voice recognition feature built into the maps program.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates