November 27, 2007

I wouldn't. . . unless . . .


How many times have you said, I wouldn't. . . I couldn't. . . I shouldn't. . . and then you go ahead and do exactly what you said you wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't do? Doesn't the word unless have a lot to do with it. I know that I have said that I wouldn't stand in line for 2 hours to save $10, I mean unless my wife, my brother, my mother, and other family members wake me up at 3:45am the day after Thanksgiving to go shopping. That's right, yours truly, has been doing the Black Friday shopping for years now. I always said that I wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't but when you save $250 on a printer that you had to hunt all over Office Max for after they told you they were sold out but you didn't believe them and found one hiding in the front of the store. There is some gratification behind the whole thing. By they way, if you have never gone Black Friday shopping then here is a nice video to show you what it is like:



It can be nuts. So nuts that police get involved and have to mace some people. True story from a local Wal-mart.

Anyway, this post is not entirely about Black Friday. It is about the motivation behind people doing stuff. I know that I have had people tell me that they wouldn't want to teach in the elementary ministry or hang out with students. They say they aren't very good with kids and they don't want to have to spend the time it takes to learn a lesson. They say I wouldn't, I couldn't, and I shouldn't. Until one day when one of their best friends ask them to be a co-teacher with them. Then all of a sudden the word unless comes into play. I then check back with the person who said they wouldn't teach and now they wouldn't miss it for anything. You see people really do need motivation. People need the unless factor. For me I can't think of a better way to get more volunteers in your ministry then to have the people that are serving ask their friends to join them. I also can't think of a better way for stores to have a great sales day then to have all toys 50% off.

Today, I want you to look for the unless factor. I want you to think about the unless factor. When you find it, people are going to have a hard time saying I wouldn't, I couldn't, and I shouldn't.

comments

2 Responses to "I wouldn't. . . unless . . ."
  1. Sam Luce said...
    November 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM

    Great post Matt. I make it part of the job description of everyone in our kidschurch to find one person and show them what you do.

    Most people have no idea what happens each Sunday with the kids. Once they see they are usually blown away.

  2. Jessica said...
    November 27, 2007 at 1:46 PM

    That video actually seemed pretty calm. People seemed to be behaving rationally and civilly. That's fun holiday shopping!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates