July 7, 2009

Twitter Tuesday: DNR Daily Twitter Summary


Where have the daily Twitter summaries gone? This is a question that some people have been asking me. That is a great question and I'm glad you asked.

The service that I was using to do the Twitter summaries has crashed. It was a service called LoudTwitter. The service doesn't look like it will be back up anytime soon either. Here is the latest post from http://loudtwitter.com and I quote:

DNR* for loudtwitter

Let's do a quick tour of the situation:

I enjoyed a lot working on loudtwitter and the challenges it represents. I had fun times but also horrible time dealing with bugs (my bad), support (some nice people out there, and also some jerks) and technical issues.

Financially, loudtwitter operates at loss. Some nice people donated money (up to $50 for one donation!), some didn't (and that's ok, too). The donations totaled $336 over two years, but the operation expense (not counting my time ;) is $575 a year (hosting + domain name).

If I get back my Hard Disk (odds aren't looking good), then I'll probably renew LT domain and continue monitoring it and making sure it works. If I don't... restarting will be too much work for me, it would mean:

- Reinstall the operating system
- Reinstall the code and all software moving parts (Perlbal, Gearman etc...)
- Since I won't have the exact software version I was running, I will spend a lot of times to make it run the way it was previously running (I'm thinking about OpenId here and some other software: Catalyst)
- Reconfigure mysql in active-active replication on the same box (tricky)
- Reconfigure the backup system
- Restore the backups (I don't know how old, yet)
- Making sure it runs correctly

So, we'll see, but I hope you understand my current thinking.

*DNR: Do Not Resuscitate


So I am on the lookout for a new way to give the readers of my blog a way to keep up with my Twitter feed without joining Twitter. If you know of a service or use a service that you like please leave a comment.

Also I will probably be going to a weekly update of my Twitter summary instead of a daily in the future. Of course if you want to join in on the conversation you can follow me on Twitter or even subscribe to the RSS feed of my Twitter account by going to http://twitter.com/mattmckee

comments

0 Responses to "Twitter Tuesday: DNR Daily Twitter Summary"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates