February 3, 2009

Ministry: Networking or Hook Up?


It has been a long time since I have been single. In fact this year I am celebrating 10 years of marriage. So it has been a long time since someone has tried to hook me up with someone else. Well until recently and it isn't to go on a date. For some reason over the past couple of weeks I have had the phrase uttered, "I think you should meet__________. I just know that you would really like __________. You know ________ is in ministry too."

I love to network. In fact one of my goals for this year is to network even more than I have in the past. I like to learn from other people. I also know that ministry can be very lonely if you don't surround yourself with other like minded ministers. I even enjoy helping business guys meet other business guys. This is one aspect of my ministry that I didn't think I would come to love as much as I do but I can't think of not doing it now. For some reason though, it seems a little bit like someone is trying to hook me up when I hear those words above. Maybe it is because most of the time it just doesn't work. Kind of like when people try to hook you up on a date. My hope is that these connections are enjoyable. Let me just say that just because that guy is in ministry doesn't automatically mean that we are going to get along with each other but I do appreciate your effort.

Does anybody know what I am talking about? Do you have this happen to you?

comments

2 Responses to "Ministry: Networking or Hook Up?"
  1. Justin D. Tapp said...
    February 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM

    You may realize that "hooking up" now means sleeping together rather than just being introduced or casually dating...

    We had a discussion about this at work not long ago, because many of my colleagues have teenage kids.

    Here's an article. "Dating is dead."

  2. Matt McKee said...
    February 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM

    I work with teenagers too and do realize what it means. It is intended to bring a little shock to the table. Thanks for the article. I am always amazed at our current culture.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates