December 15, 2008

Ministry Monday: Southeast Christian Church


On Monday, December 15th, the Children's Ministry of Horizon Community Church went to Louisville, KY to visit Southeast Community Church. Steve Young, Director of Early Childhood and Elementary, was gracious enough to spend the day with us. He answered every question and gave us full access to their facilities. He even bought us all a coffee. Needless to say, but my thoughts of Steve have gone way up since this trip.

I love seeing other churches. I find it fascinating how other people do ministry. Southeast is a huge church. The main auditorium seats over 9000 people. They have over 16,000 people who attend on a weekend. Over 300 people work there full time. It is very impressive. The most impressive part though is that the focus I heard over and over again is being relational and small groups. The pastors are truly getting the concept that the larger that you are the smaller you must become. That was refreshing.

I took a lot of photos while I was there. Here are quite a few of them.






























We even had access to their new Student Ministry building that is under construction. Here is a picture of the rock wall that is going in.



Can someone tell me why a church who is building a new building would put a rock wall in it? The shelf life for one of these is 8 years at best and the cost is outrageous. My prediction is this rock wall will be down by 2020. It would be taken down earlier than this but someone will say, "We can't take that down. Do you know how much money we paid for that?" Then the response will be, "But no one uses it." Believe me, I have heard this conversation to many times over the last 5 years from many churches that put in rock walls that have since taken them down.

Anyway, the day was a great day. Thank you Steve for your hospitality and your willingness to put up with me and my team. I really do appreciate you.

comments

0 Responses to "Ministry Monday: Southeast Christian Church"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates