October 16, 2008

Tech Thursday: Dinosaur Obsession


So what is up with the new Dinosaur obsession and kid's toys? Have you noticed all of the different dinosaurs that have come out over the last year or so for kids? Seriously.

Now don't get me wrong, I think some of these are really cool. I am even impressed with the technology that is packed in to the dinosaurs. I know that if I was a kid I would want more than one of these on the following list.

1. Pleo by Ugobe. Pleo is not simply a robot and probably started this whole obsession that started. Here is a nice pic and video of it in action:






Pleo cost $350. It is very interactive and not remote controlled. This guy is pretty amazing.

2. Kota My Triceratops Dinosaur by Playskool. Kato is a ride on dino that doesn't walk but will wag his tale, open his mouth, and move his head. Here is a good pic and the commercial for this toy that is for ages 3+.





I can see both of my boys loving this toy. I don't see it fitting in my house or me buying it because it cost $299 but it adds to the dino obsession that will happen this Christmas.

3. D-Rex interactive Dinosaur by Mattel. D-Rex is a Pleo wannabe and is your typical attempt to copy an original. It officially comes out on October 20th, 2008 and I suspect it will do very well this Christmas. It may even be the hottest toy this Christmas. Here is a pic and a video as well:






D-Rex is going to cost $149 which is a lot cheaper than Pleo but doesn't look as sophisticated. We will have to wait and see, though.

4. Spike the Ultra Dinosaur by Imaginext. Spike is different than the rest because he is a wireless remote control dinosaur. There is not the sort of pet feature to Spike but both of my boys love the display at local toy stores. Here is a pic and the commercial for him as well:





Spike started out at $149 but you can now find him for $129. I expect he will drop in price again before Christmas because D-Rex but we will see.

There you have just some of the biggest in the Dinosaur Obsession that will be this Christmas. I have a feeling that my family will be getting at least one dinosaur but I still don't know if it will be any of these. It might be the $25 remote control one we saw yesterday that isn't as cool as any of these, but if I had my choice it would be Pleo. With the ability to upgrade its software through an SD slot and its over all sophistication it wins in my book. I just wish it wasn't $350.

comments

3 Responses to "Tech Thursday: Dinosaur Obsession"
  1. Jessica said...
    October 16, 2008 at 4:20 PM

    Maybe we could get Pleo instead of a dog. Wouldn't need to be fed or go outside.

    I like the Kota, but he takes up the whole room!

    I agree that a dinosaur will be under our tree this year (Azlan just loves them!), but I'm not sure which one.

  2. Dustin Aagaard said...
    October 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM

    Down here in Orlandos, Disney just opened a huge dinosaur resturant/entertainment venue in their own downtown disney area. that might have something to do with it.

  3. Sam Luce said...
    October 24, 2008 at 8:48 AM

    Very cool. My son will want all of the above.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates