June 25, 2008

Sign Wednesday: I couldn't believe it!


I walked into the atrium of our church 2 weeks ago and saw this sign:



I truly couldn't believe what I was seeing. If fact there were 2 guys who read my blog who came up to me as I was walking through the atrium to point this sign out to me. They were excited to show me how bad this sign is and that is never a good thing at your own church.

Let's go over why this sign is so bad.

1. Having to put a sign on a sign is rarely a good idea. It is always a bad idea when you have to cover up something printed on the sign. Just print a new sign. The cost of the new sign outweighs the message that you are communicating about your brand.

2. Seriously, do I have to go over the whole hand written sign thing again. Hand written signs are bad. Period. I don't care how nice your handwriting is or that you are being artistic with the letters. Hand written signs are bad.

3. As you can tell the sign is old, look at the curve in the right and left sides. Once again, I am for reusing good signs if they look good. Your brand means more than the $17 that it would have cost to reprint this sign.


There you have it. I even have a hard time at my church keeping the signs looking good. Don't worry though, I will keep trying to make our world a better looking place.

comments

3 Responses to "Sign Wednesday: I couldn't believe it!"
  1. jonathan said...
    June 25, 2008 at 11:42 AM

    Keep fighting the System, Matt! We're all behind you!

  2. Anonymous said...
    June 25, 2008 at 12:06 PM

    So, the million dollar question is....
    Is this sign in the trash yet??? Ha! that was so funny.

    This made me think of a conversation I was having just yesterday. When I lived in S. Indiana, there was a new movie theater that came to town. It was a good deal.. the first stadium seated theater in S. IN. It was top notch and really set to make big bucks as there was nothing like it. Someone told me it cost 16 million to build. Well, I noticed something peculiar on my first visit. You know those digital signs that display the name of the movie for each theater. Most of the time they also tell the time. yeah, we'll this theater saved the $50 a sign and got the signs that only told the name of the movie. So each morning, someone (a manager I'm sure) would type out the movie times for each theater and tape it to the bottom of the digital sign. No, I'm being serious. They really did. And here is what I just found out. Four years later, they still do it. Honestly. I don't get it. Matt, I'll get you a picture and let you post it for your sign Wednesday in the future.

  3. Anonymous said...
    June 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM

    Wow. Are you sure that isn't my church? (I constantly fighting the mad hand sign maker in my church as well. Be strong and of good courage.)

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates