March 27, 2008

Tech Thursday: Google Browser Sync


When I sit down at someone else's computer, I feel lost. They arrange their desktop differently then I do. They especially use the web differently than I do. When I sit down to my office computer or my home computer I want everything to look and feel the same. In my goal to become the most efficient, effective person I can become, I have tried to streamline as much as possible. One key area of streamlining has become my use of Mozilla Firefox, or in other words, how I use the web. As you may know, I am converting between Mac and PC right now and this transition has been made much easier with a little tool called Google Browser Sync. Firefox works with both Mac and PC. It has become my only browser and Google Browser Sync makes it even better.

What is it?
Google Browser Sync for Firefox is an extension that continuously synchronizes your browser settings – including bookmarks, history, persistent cookies, and saved passwords – across your computers. It also allows you to restore open tabs and windows across different machines and browser sessions.


Why is this important?
Let's say I have to leave the office and I am working on something on a website. I can open that website up and pick right up where I left off because of the Browser Sync. I also have all of the same bookmarks and saved passwords. Seriously, why do something multiple times when everything can be synced and you only have to do it once. It has also helped Jessica make the transition because everything within Firefox looks the same and acts the same.


How do you get Firefox? (go here)

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/



How do you get Google Browser Sync? (go here)

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync

comments

2 Responses to "Tech Thursday: Google Browser Sync"
  1. jonathan said...
    March 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM

    I use Firefox with the Foxmarks extension. It sync's bookmarks between computers, and make the bookmarks available online it I'm away from one of my 3 computers.

  2. Jessica said...
    March 27, 2008 at 10:08 PM

    I don't write down any logins or passwords, so I was a little panicked when we started making the transition to the new computer. When Matt synced Firefox and all of my logins came back, I was relieved. This is good technology.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates