November 20, 2007

Let's get Political?


No, this is not a political blog and no, I am not going to tell you who you should vote for, especially if you don't live in the U.S. This blog is about ministry, marketing, technology, and family but today I want to focus and highlight one of my friends.



His name is Phil Heimlich and he is running for Congress. Specifically he is running for the House of Representatives to win the seat for the 2nd District of Ohio. I have known Phil and his family for over 2 years now. You will not find a leader who is as strong yet humble as Phil. I have been impressed by his faith and his willingness to stand up for it. Many times I have sat back and wondered if politicians really do have faith or if they are just speaking about it because it is the right thing to do for the campaign. I am glad to see that this time it is for real.

Why do I tell you all this? Because this week of Thanksgiving reminds me to be thankful for who God has put into my life. Because to many times I think we can look at the leaders of our country and get frustrated. We can feel like there is no hope for our nation. I hope Phil does win and not just because he is a friend, but because he could bring a little bit of that hope back.

On a side note. . . His dad is the one who created the Heimlich Maneuver. Yes I laughed the first time I heard that too. And yes we do joke around the dinner table about calling him if someone is choking. The nice thing about Phil is that he would joke about it too.

If you want to know more about Phil or about his campaign then you can visit his site at www.philheimlich.com. If you drop him a note, tell him I sent you. I think he will get a laugh out of it. So here is to you my friend, I pray for you and your family often and I hope God blesses you and your campaign.

comments

8 Responses to "Let's get Political?"
  1. JTapp said...
    November 20, 2007 at 10:38 AM

    How many times has Phil read Free to Choose? My guess from his website is at least twice.

  2. Anonymous said...
    November 20, 2007 at 9:18 PM

    Matt - God bless you and your good intentions. However in good conscience I cannot remain silent about what is on my heart. You say you have known Phil Heimlich for only two years, so I assume you do not know him well. I have known him for many, many years.

    What I need to say is this. What is going on in his household is wrong and unjustifiable. If you really care about Phil, Rebecca, and especially their two children, please get involved, talk and pray with them, and urge them to seek counseling. My wife and I have tried to talk to Phil and I know others who have, too. But he just shuts everyone out.

    Our hearts and our prayers are with you!

  3. Matt McKee said...
    November 21, 2007 at 10:22 AM

    First of all let me say that I do moderate all comments that are made on this blog. There have been many that I have not let on to my site, not because they didn't agree with me but because of foul language. The above comment I did let go through. Why? So that I could respond to it. First, if you are not going to leave your name and some type of contact info so that I can reply on a personal level then I don't think you have much credibility. Second, I do know Phil, Rebecca, and their children very well. Like I said in the post, this is not a political blog. There are plenty of sites out there that are bad mouthing Phil because of political reasons. This comment is the same. I thought it was time to stand up for Phil and I don't appreciate you trying to make this another one of your political platforms. Please if you comment on my blog feel free to disagree with me, but please let us know who you are, especially if you are going to attack someone. Don't hide behind the anonymous label.

  4. Jason Rhode said...
    November 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM

    A link was added at http://www.childrensministrytalk.com to your blog. God bless.

  5. Anonymous said...
    November 22, 2007 at 9:12 PM

    Letter to the Editor, Community Press, Nov. 16, 2007: http://tinyurl.com/242lau

    APOLOGY PLEASE

    As the daughter of a World War II veteran, I wanted to express my deep disappointment with Phil Heimlich, the former Hamilton County commissioner who is running for Congress. I've lived in Batavia for nearly 30 years, and last weekend was the only time I can remember seeing a politician march in the Veterans Day parade. It's unfortunate that Mr. Heimlich had to take advantage of a non-political event and turn it into a partisan one. I don't know how others felt, but I was personally offended by Mr. Heimlich's actions. It's outrageous, and I believe Mr. Heimlich owes those of us who attended, including the many veterans who were there, an apology for attempting to capitalize on such a sacred tradition. It was a moment for remembrance and celebration, not one of political pandering.

    Linda Ward
    Marble Lane
    Batavia

  6. Anonymous said...
    November 24, 2007 at 4:17 PM

    Your column was posted in the comments section of this Cincinnati Beacon article, Heimlich Behaving Badly: http://tinyurl.com/3xb5lt

  7. Anonymous said...
    November 27, 2007 at 11:33 AM

    As a person of faith, I am troubled that Phil says he's Pro-Life but on 20/20 he said has no problem with his father's awful experiments on AIDS patients in Africa.

  8. Anonymous said...
    December 3, 2007 at 3:33 PM

    OH-02 Republican Phil Heimlich: Hold The Mayo, I Just Found Jesus by Bill Sloat, The Daily Bellwether, December 2, 2007: http://tinyurl.com/2pooax

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates