September 22, 2006

Get a Mentor!


Over the last 7 years of my life I have had a mentor. It has not been the same mentor but I have been very fortunate with the people who have agreed to such a relationship or should I say partnership. I have been given wisdom that I would not have come by without these partnerships. I have also been helped out of situations that I found very difficult. The rewards of having a mentor are absolutely amazing. It is basically putting wise counsel in your life. Believe me, everyone can use some wise counsel. So you may be asking yourself, how do I get a mentor or how do I start this process? The first thing you have to do is swallow your pride and say that you need one. Being in my 20's, that was very hard at first. I am one of these types of people who tries to take the world by storm and I don't need your help to do it. I also tend to try to impress people to much and if people found out I needed help by a mentor it may hurt my very important perception. Okay, I may not have that perception but at least let me think that I do. After you have given your pride a kick in the pants, ask someone you respect if they are willing. I know, another kick to the pride. I mean what if they say no or what if I am not good enough. By the way, I have had no one say no. That's right, not one. When I say pick someone you respect I mean someone who is the most successful person you know in their field. Don't pick someone your age. If you are in your 20's don't even pick someone in their 30's. They won't be the most successful person you know. Believe me, they are still trying to figure life out as well. Now what are you looking for in a mentor? That is the wrong question. The question should be what do you want to learn? Do you want to be a great husband, boss, or maybe even a better Christ-follower. Find someone who is the best husband, dad, manager, or Christ-follower that you can find. Notice I said nothing about money. Don't bring money into a mentor partnership. It will be the downfall of the partnership. If you are looking for someone who will help you make a lot of money or someone who will help you keep the money you have, then you need a CPA or an accountability partner. Notice that an accountability partner is different than a mentor. Don't get me wrong, accountability will happen in your partnership but learning should by your primary focus. Okay, enough about all of this. Go get a mentor.

comments

0 Responses to "Get a Mentor!"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates