September 9, 2006

First Time Visitors


Believe it or not I love going to other churches. Not because I don't like mine, but because I get to be a first time visitor. This experience is truly priceless. You are only a first time visitor once. I know the last sentence may not be profound but it does mean the world to your ministry. First impressions are made, whether good or bad. Families decide whether they are going to come back or not on their first visit. Now you have to understand that I have a 2 year old son and the nursery area can be a blessing or a curse to any church. Judgments and critiques come easily when you are at someone else's church don't get me wrong, but I try my best not to do that until I have experienced everything. After the service I sit down and answer the following questions.

1. Were the signs clear and easy to follow?

2. Was the check in process painless?

3. Did anyone greet me?

4. Was their a feeling of security and safeness for my child?

5. Did volunteers know where I should go?

6. Were there name tags on volunteers?

7. Was the facility clean?

8. Was there any thought put into the environment or was it white walls?

9. Could they tell me what belongs to my son or did I have to tell them?

10. Was the pick up process painless?

11. What could have made my experience better?

I know these are hard questions. I know right now that I wouldn't rank very high on all of these at my church. The important thing to remember is we only get one shot. We only have a brief time to convince someone that they should trust us with their kids. If our space is not creative, clean, comfortable, and does not communicate with out anyone around we are not doing well. I think we could do a lot better if we would swallow our pride and invite people to answer these questions. If you are afraid of what the answers will be then change not only needs to happen it must happen or families will leave. On a side note, if you live anywhere near the Cincinnati area and would like for me to come and be hard on your space and your environment, let me know. I would be more than willing to drive and discuss how we can make things better.

comments

0 Responses to "First Time Visitors"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates