September 20, 2007

Sign Thursday: The Bulliten Board


For those of you who follow this blog I am not changing Sign Wednesday to Thursday but I have been swamped. I will go back to Wednesday and I promise to write about the importance of the large format printer very soon. Let's get on with the show, and discuss one sign that is in most churches older than 15 years. It is the bulletin board. Here is a typical one:

Bulletin Board

Why is this typical? Crate paper, wood frame, lots of words, targeted to insiders, the use of some sort of cut out letters, and surrounded by beige walls. I was at this church recently and I could find no information about what R.I.D.E. was about? I am sure it is for kids but the rest of the little signs told me little to nothing. If you are going to make a sign please make sure that you intend for your sign to be read by dummies like myself. This will go a long way in helping you communicate.

I am not a big fan of bulletin boards. I think there time has come and gone. They are very hard to make look professional and they stay in the same place forever. Anything that stays in the same place over time gets looked over. Things that get looked over are not done well because people know that no one reads them. If no one is reading them then why do you still have it up on your wall?

Do something radical this week. Take down all your bulletin boards. I bet you that people will notice. I also bet that you might have to paint because the color of paint will be a different shade because the bulletin board has been there way to long. Then next week if you are compelled to have bulletin boards make sure they are in a different spot with different information.

comments

0 Responses to "Sign Thursday: The Bulliten Board"
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates